Please click on the photo for a better image...
This is called the Shaw Mansion, but to those who lived there it was just known as The Farmhouse. Built by Andrew B. Shaw in 1872, in a little village called Moscow in Western Maryland, the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
The house is a 2 1/2 story brick home built with over 300,000 bricks made from the clay found on the Shaw land. There were twelve rooms on the 2 floors, including a ballroom, dining room, kitchen, pantry, sitting room and numerous bedrooms and dressing rooms; with five rooms in the basement (for storage, etc.) and it also includes a full attic. All of the inner walls were made of brick and the hard woods used in the construction were walnut and ash, along with other hard woods used through out, all produced from the Shaw Mill that was on the land. In addition to the 10 fireplaces the mansion also had its own steam heat, running water and electric lights from the Shaw's own lighting plant.
Today it is being remodeled to be a bed and breakfast slated to be open this year. It is a wonderful building and to have gone through it was, indeed, quite a pleasure.